You are here


General Questions

  • What are the Clerk's Office hours?

    At this time, the Clerk’s Office is open to the public from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday.

  • What are the geographic boundaries of the Eastern District of Pennsylvania?

    The Eastern District of Pennsylvania consists of the following counties: Berks, Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Lancaster, Lehigh, Montgomery, Northampton and Philadelphia.

  • Where can I find information about obtaining copies of records or a docket for a case?

    Information about filing, case processing and records can be found here.

  • Where can I find information about filing a document or opening a new case?

    Information about filing, case processing and records can be found here.

  • What do I do in case of an emergency matter after hours?

    Emergency Contact Information can be found here.

  • What are the filing fees?

    Information about fees and payment methods can be found here.

Interpreter Questions

  • Will the courtroom be set up with microphones, etc.?

    The Court Interpreter Coordinator will contact the Assistant United States Attorney 3 days prior to the proceeding and ask them to contact the agent and have their technician set up the courtroom.

  • Will an Interpreter be needed to do a presentence report following a plea?

    The Court Interpreter Coordinator will contact the probation office 2 days prior to the proceeding and ask if an interpreter will be needed for the presentence report. The Coordinator will notify the interpreter if they are needed.

Miscellaneous Questions

  • Can judicial proceedings be broadcast or filmed?

    Please see Local Rule 83.3.

  • Who do I contact about Video Conferencing or Electronic Courtrooms?

    Courtroom Technology Help Desk 267-299-7102

  • How do I get a passport returned?

    A passport may be returned after sentencing and only upon the Court's Order.

  • How do I become placed on the roster of Criminal Justice Act attorneys?

    Contact the Federal Defenders Association at (215) 928-1100.

Procedures for Filing Documents

  • Contact Information

    For more information on the ECF system, please call the toll-free number 1-866-ECF-4ECF (1-866-323-4323). To contact the Clerk’s Office, please refer to the Contact Information page.

  • How do I file documents in the Eastern District?

    Unrepresented individuals:

    Pro se litigants can visit our Self Representation page for information about how to file. Whenever possible, filings should be submitted through EDS.

    Alternatively, pro se litigants may file documents with the Clerk of Court either in person or by mail at one of the following addresses:

    Clerk of Court, EDPA
    James A. Byrne U.S. Courthouse
    Room 2609
    601 Market Street
    Philadelphia, PA 19106

    Clerk of Court, EDPA
    Edward N. Cahn U.S. Courthouse & Federal Building
    504 W. Hamilton Street
    Allentown, PA 18101

    Do not send documents directly to the District Judge or Magistrate Judge assigned to your case.

    Do not send multiple copies of your filings. A single copy is all that is needed.

    If a pro se litigant would like permission to file documents through the CM/ECF electronic filing system, the litigant must file a motion seeking permission from the Judge assigned to the case. See Local Rule 5.1.2(4)(b).


    With a select few exceptions, attorneys are required to file all other documents through CM/ECF, pursuant to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure. Guidance on filing through CM/ECF can be found at

    Information on these requirements and this process can be found here.

  • Can I pay a filing fee with a credit card when using CM/ECF?


  • What are the formatting requirements (i.e., fonts, margins, etc.) for documents filed in the Eastern District?

    There are no such requirements for complaints. However, some of the judges may have requirements in their own policies and procedures for other pleadings.

  • How do I change my name, address, telephone number, fax number, and/or e-mail address for the Eastern District including CM/ECF?

    You can log into CM/ECF system and make the changes yourself.Alternatively, you can submit a letter describing your change of name, address, telephone number, fax number, and/or e-mail address and applicable cases. The attorney's signature must be on the letter. The change would only apply to the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania. The letter can be faxed to (267) 299-7135. In the case of a name change, you'll need to include a copy of your marriage certificate or other documentation that supports the change.

  • Is there a size limit for PDF documents filed on CM/ECF?

    The size limit for a PDF filed on CM/ECF is 50.0 MB per file. A document over 50.0 MB must be divided into separate files.

  • If I filed a document electronically do I need to submit an original document?

    No. The electronic filing is the original document.

Attorney Admission Questions

  • As an attorney, how do I become admitted to practice in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania?

    Information about attorney admissions, admission Pro Hac Vice, and Certificates of Good Standing can be found on the Attorney Information Page.

  • How do I obtain a Certificate of Good Standing?

    To obtain a Certificate of Good Standing, requests can be made electronically using the court's electronic filing system. Instructions can be found here.